The current corporate solution needed significant functional improvements and technical gain as the client was committed to growing and scaling to new markets in Europe and United States. That’s why they addressed *instinctools for augmented technical expertise in business analysis, consulting, and business intelligence software development.
BI Software For A Large European Vending Machine Provider
How a company increased turnover by 9% by implementing BI and reducing the lost-sales rate.
Our client is a famous European retail company providing vending machines under various cooperation models, including selling, leasing, and more. As their business grew, they needed to increase their technological capabilities to make decisions faster, based on qualified data, and work even more effectively.
Our client’s existing solution didn’t meet these scalability and business efficiency requirements. Having more than 1000 vending machines operating across 50+ cities, they didn’t have a single point of truth and qualitative data for analysis, forecasting, and decision-making.
They needed their core units to be “on the same page” and wanted:
- Decision-makers in Top management and Sales to have all company data at hand anytime with visualized information about vending machines operation, maintenance, and sales by region/country, including margin rates and issues reports.
- Supply management and Machine Service employees to be aware of and timely respond to any technical issues, see relevant data to replenish stocks, and make purchases in a timely manner.
No project starts without clearly defined terms of reference. To define them, we began by asking the right questions and answering the client’s questions.
After reaching a mutual understanding of problem definition, current system infrastructure analysis, processes evaluation, and project goals, we started to design and build solution architecture and prepare necessary documents for successful project implementation within the discussed timeline.
Our data engineers organized proper ETL processes to connect data from corporate data sources (CRM, ERP, Excel files, and others) to a newly built data warehouse.
Even before the warehouse storage was fully organized with all company data, we crafted the first reports and dashboards based on newly gained data. Our client got the opportunity to evaluate the benefits of data visualization two weeks after the project started.
Receiving the feedback from dashboards’ actual users, we made timely and high-quality changes at the development stage.
The core of delivering a quality product is understanding its users and their needs. The final step of our project was the review and BI software access distribution across the company according to its designated users.
More importantly, the established relationships between our development team, product stakeholders, and decision-makers allowed us to promptly react to the feedback and upcoming issues, making high-end improvements to the system.
- Disparate analysis and no single data storage solution
- Existing software doesn’t allow for tracking sales margin across regions
- Sales reports creation takes up to four working hours
- Hard to estimate data quality
- Stock management needs to be organized to provide more structured data
- Not enough technical capabilities to make forecasts and intelligent data analytics
- Data stored in one place opens up opportunities for complex analysis
- Visible sales margin
- Reports are generated automatically or created per request
- High-quality data and transparency in operations
- Stock managers get full control over stock turnover and timely purchases
- Top managers use smart analytics daily to make data-driven decisions and predict sales
We never completely realized that we have so much data that we do not use in our work. 90% of our decisions were made on only hardly half of all data we have. Thanks to business intelligence capabilities and *instinctools’ hands-on approach to delivering the solution, we are now more confident in making data-driven decisions and far more reactive to uprising issues. All we needed and even more was implemented by a very initiative and tech-savvy dedicated team of professionals.
A user-friendly BI system allows configuring the necessary filters for data groups, defining data ranges, and displaying them on dashboards.
The dashboards and datasets analytics can be scaled to be used in other units, e.g., Marketing, Accounting, Administration, and Operations.
Business intelligence software is accessible via mobile, web, tablet, and desktop devices.
- The client renegotiated low-margin contracts with customers
- The number of lost sales was reduced by 30%.
- Total turnover increased by 9% in 6 months.
- The downtime of broken vending machines was reduced to a very minimum.
The expertise employed in this project can be applied to similar projects in retail, hospitality, sharing economy fields, and others.